Roof InspectionsWith over 30 years of experience, we are able to offer roof inspections which help to highlight the areas of the roof that are potentially going to fail in the near future.
Inspections and surveys
The key to avoiding major roof damage is early detection, and with roof inspections from White & Sons Ltd you can be assured that we will find any problems or potential issues that you may have. With our wealth of experience, we have encountered the majority of problems and issues. Regardless of whether you have a residential or commercial property, you could benefit from our specialist roof surveys. All our quotations are free with no obligations.
White and Sons Ltd also offer a full roof report survey service, for use when purchasing or selling a property. This is also a good service to use when considering purchasing/selling a property or when an inspection is required to reveal any potential hidden problems or issues with the roof and surrounding areas.
For us to provide a roof report, we charge a minimum fee of £195+VAT, which is refundable* if our services are required for the works to be completed.
Things to look for in a roof
There are a few things that you can look for with your roof which will are potential future problems.
- Look for any missing, slipped, or broken tiles. Tiles can slide into the gutter, so looking along the gutter line is an easy way to quickly check for obvious missing tiles.
- Tiles and slates start to flake and disintegrate, particularly during cold weather. Water enters small cracks in the surface of the tile, before it freezes and expands. This is seen by small orange flakes scattering the tiled roof.
- Freezing water can also cause the mortar to crack and disintegrate. Check all mortar work (such as ridges and hips) to make sure that the cement hasn’t disintegrated away from the tiles. This can result in a loose ridge tile which can cause damage to the rest of the roof, particularly in strong winds.
- It is also important to regularly check and clean the gutters. Leaves, dirt, debris, and even tennis balls can all end up in a gutter, causing it to block. A blocked gutter can cause a leak due to the overflow of water needing somewhere to go.
* Roof report charge will be refundable if additional works completed totals over £1200.00 +VAT.
Lead, Zinc, and Copper
We can carry out all aspects of leadwork to create a longlasting roof.
Slating and Tiling
From concrete to handmade clay, we will help you pick the right tile to improve your roof.
Installing a rooflight, such as a Velux, can offer a new dimension to your home.
We offer a lot of different flat roofs, including lead, copper, zinc, single-ply, and EPDM.
Ecclesiastical and Heritage
We carry out work on all places of worship, with a vast experience working on churches, heritage, and listed properties.
Do I need Building Regulations?
If over 50% of your roof is to be replaced, then your Local Authority needs to be notified of the work. As members of Competent Roofer, we are able to self-certify that our refurbishment work complies with Building Regulations. Upon completion, Competent Roofer will send the necessary certification.
Do you issue a guarantee for your work?
White and Sons Ltd offer a 10-year written workmanship guarantee for all of our full roof replacement work. In addition to this, as members of Competent Roofer, we offer a 10-year insurance backed guarantee for refurbishment work (over 50% of roof). Written guarantees are sent upon completion of the works.
Do I need a scaffold?
The safety of our staff is paramount, and we will not carry out work where we feel it unsafe to do so. As such, we will require a scaffold to be erected where it would be unsafe to carry out the work without one. We own an aluminium tower which can be used for small scale works to help reduce costs and we can also arrange for and manage scaffolds on your behalf.
How do the guys on site take their tea and coffee?
The guys on site take their drinks white with either 1,2, or 3 sugars depending on who is on site. Mark and Joe in the office both take their coffee black and without sugar.
Are you insured?
White & Sons Ltd are fully insured for both Public (£5m) and Employers Liability (£10m) insurance. Copies of both of these can be seen upon request.
Do you need a deposit, and how do I pay?
White & Sons Ltd do not ask for any form of deposit but do require an ‘Acceptance Form’ to be signed agreeing to the work under our Terms and Conditions. We send interim invoices (job size dependent) which can be paid by bank transfer. We can also take credit card payments but are obliged to charge 2.5% to cover the additional costs.
How do you keep the rain out when you remove my roof?
We will always ensure that the areas of roof that have been stripped off can be weathered within the same day and weather forecasts are checked daily. Also, all the membranes that we use have been tested by BBA.